Friday, November 21, 2008

Web 2.0 apps for Librarians

One of our clerks - I keep people nameless not to avoid giving due credit but because I try to respect their privacy - found this neat library catalog application that is very web 2.0 and I think would be very useful in most situations. Take a look at some of the features here VuFind Features.
I find it very interesting in that it allows patrons/members to find items, track searches, store and bookmark queries and translate into various languages. My only issue is that it was designed by librarians for librarians. I say this because it's painfully obvious that we didn't do the best job with things like Dewey (200s are a specific nightmare) and we don't always organize without letting our education and experience get in the way - i.e. I was looking at several library websites for government information for a project and when I did find the information on the websites it was hidden under headings like Reference and Research which may make sense to the average librarian, but probably doesn't make sense to a patron.
I also thought this award winner was neat - Galaxiki - because after all who doesn't aspire to own their own galaxy. Why stop at being emperor of the western hemisphere when you can be emperor of an entire star system? You can explore and read others works for free or purchase a system of your own. This seems like great fun for any sci-fi or fantasy addict.

No comments: