Wednesday, December 17, 2008

live long and pros.. er... learn something!

Good sites this week and lots to learn on a few of them. I spent a lot of time on the How Stuff Works site simply because I was interested in reading the articles. I also like the Nikon site because the articles about photography were interesting and came with great visual aids. I will probably spend more time in the future on the Nikon site to improve my photographic skills.

I did see some issues with a couple of the sites. Like many places on the web, sites get forgotten or ignored by their creators and fail to update regularly. For example, I looked at the DIY home theater lesson CNET's site. I was unable to get a price for the two receivers I was interested in because they were both "out of stock". It turns out the Denon is from 2006 and has very limited availability. Also, I was disturbed by the houses they showed in the the "hot houses" feature because they seemed to focus only on what I would consider an "upper class" home and not on things that can be done in smaller spaces.

I think that there will be more of this style of learning at all levels simply because it allows the user to learn on very specific subjects at the most convienent times. I think this shift is important because it empowers the user. Why sit through an entire electronics class to learn how to set up your surround sound?

No comments: