Monday, October 27, 2008

Changes ... or don't tell me to grow up or out of it...

Good stuff this week. The Radiohead article from Rolling Stone was very interesting even though I've never heard any of their music to the best of my knowledge. I may have to go download or stream some of it later on.
The reason I was most interested in that article is that I have an interest in continuous innovation. I think that as a library we try to innovate, certainly to the extent of doing more with fewer resources and to an extent we succeed. I think it's good from a customer standpoint that we can offer things other than books and even give them a place to download an audio book if they choose. I also think that as we've moved away from the "shush" culture of a library - the one where you can hear a pin drop from the far end of the building - we've created an atmosphere that is more "fun" for our patrons.
The Davinci articles were interesting. In particular, I enjoyed the gaming article which points out how addicted many humans are to some form of gaming. Games can take so many different forms and can make doing mundane tasks much more enjoyable. Oddly enough, there are books I remember from my youth which advocated this method - Mrs. Piggle Wiggle anyone?

1 comment:

OCLS Learn 2.0 said...

I agree. Innovation is a must for this organization. Innovation is growth and innovation causes change. We have to constantly look at ways to better serve the customer or we will die. I think Eric Atkinson said best when he said that we have to know what our customers want before they do. That is the trick!

Tom