Thursday, October 9, 2008

Week four

Open source is a growing field. For the "early adopters" it can be a gold mine of software to do the same job as a $1000+ commercially produced product. I strongly believe that had I been better aware of the Open Office project I could have saved money when I was working on my Master's degree.
The YouTube video made some excellent points about how much information is available out there and how it is used in an election. It is nice to see that voices that would otherwise be disregarded now can be heard.
Liveleak is neat, but I had to take offense with the titling of the video I watched - Darwin Award Dimwits 14 - as few of these people CHOSE to be in the airplane accidents, they just chose to fly. There is spectacular footage, set to the song "Danger Zone", but to infer that these folks are eligible for the Darwin is questionable.
Answerbag is neat, but I was unable to find similar enough questions on TVs between Yahoo Answers, Answerbag and Askville. Yahoo answers seemed to me to have the better quality answers and a far larger number of answered questions.

No comments: